Observer Access to a Blackboard course
The Observer tool is used by athletic advisors on campus to see individual student grades in Blackboard. By default, Observer access is On in Blackboard courses, which enables advisors to view the My Grades area for a specific student in a Blackboard course.
Some details about the default settings for Observer access:
- Advisors are only able to view grade information for specific students in Blackboard
- Instructors can see which students have an advisor by viewing the course Users list under the Observer column
- Advisors are not able to see anything in the course outside of the student advisee's My Grades window
- The Observer role is read-only, and Advisors cannot make any changes in Blackboard
- Advisors are not able to see any information on other students in the course
For more information about customizing Observer access, select from the following:
- Change the On / Off status of Observer access to your course.
- Navigate to the Blackboard course where you'd like to change access
- On the left-hand navigation, scroll down to Customization and click on Guest and Observer Access
- Under the section Allow Observer Access, change the option to Yes or No, and click Submit
- *Note: After you disable access, you will still see the students who have an associated Observer in your course Users list.
- Allow/prohibit Observers to see additional content items in a course.
- Observer access to specific content is handled with the left-side menu links
- Hover over the link of the navigation tab for which you would like to change Observer access
- Click the dropdown menu arrow to see the options for access
- Click on Permit Observers if you would like Observers to be able to view content that is currently not viewable
- Click on Deny Observers if you would like Observers to be able to view content that currently is viewable
- *Note: if you don't see either of these options, this indicates that the menu item is not viewable to Observers
Source: Blackboard Help »