Starting with a Blank Course Site
New Blackboard courses are automatically created as blank course sites. This means they no longer have the default left menu buttons provided in past course shells. The only left menu buttons you will see in a new course are 'Announcements', 'My Grades' and 'Resources for building your course'. To learn more about how to start adding content to your Blackboard course site, please select from the following:
If you have a course that you've used before, or that another instructor has used previously, this is your easiest option. Some departments have existing master courses especially for online sections, or utilize a supported template that can be copied. For more information about existing master courses or access to best practice template courses, please contact the Center Online and Distance Learning (CODL) at 785-864-1000.
To do a course copy, you will need to have the Instructor role in both the source and destination courses. Follow the copy instructions linked below to copy the other material into this new course site.
If you do not have a course shell to use as a template you can follow the instructions below to activate the Quick Setup Guide and get started.
- Under Control Panel, select Customization, then Quick Setup Guide.
- Select 1. Choose a Course Structure.
- Scroll down to choose the option that generates the left hand navigation that you prefer. If you are unsure, Blackboard Classic resembles KU's past template the most closely.
- Click the 'Use This Structure' button on the right side of the pop-up window. Do not check the box next to 'Include content examples'.
- Once you have made your selections, click Apply Changes to create your new course menu.
If you want complete control of how things appear, and want to create your course menu yourself - this is the most customizable option. Follow the instructions linked below to add left menu buttons and course content. If you aren't sure what navigation you want to use, consider the Quick Setup Guide instead.