Starting with a Blank Course Site
Starting January 2017, new Blackboard courses are automatically created as blank course sites. This means they no longer have the default left hand navigation provided previously in course shells. There are three ways to start adding content to your Blackboard course site:
Copying an Existing Course
If you have a course that you've used before, or that another instructor has used previously, this is your easiest option. Some departments have existing master courses, especially for online sections, or utilize a supported template that can be copied. For more information about existing master courses or access to best practices template courses, please contact the Center Online and Distance Learning (CODL) at 785-864-1000.
To do a course copy, you will need to be an instructor in both the source and destination courses. Follow the copy instructions below to copy the other material into this new course site.
Using the Quick Setup Guide - Blackboard Classic Course Menu
If you do not have a course shell to use as a template, and instead want a quick way to start - this is the quickest option. Follow the instructions below to activate the Quick Setup Guide and get started.
- Under Control Panel, select Customization, then Quick Setup Guide.
- Select 1. Choose a Course Structure.
- Scroll down to choose the option that generates the left hand navigation that you prefer. If you are unsure, Blackboard Classic resembles KU's recent template the most closely.
- Click the 'Use This Structure' button on the right side of the pop-up window. Do not check the box next to 'Include content examples'.
- Once you have made your selections, click Apply Changes to create your new course menu.
Adding Custom Navigation
If you want complete control of how things appear, and want to create your course yourself - this is the most customizable option. Follow the instructions on adding course content to create your unique navigation. If you aren't sure what navigation you want to use, consider the Quick Setup Guide instead.