Some instructors prefer to combine multiple course sites into a single merged Blackboard course. This allows them to post materials only once for all enrolled students to see, rather than posting to each separate course site. Use the Course Merge tool to do this. The Course Merge Tool copies the student enrollments from one or more "child" courses into a "parent" course. Course merge can be used to:
- Merge enrollments of two or more sections of the same Enroll & Pay course that have the same department and catalog number.
- Merge cross-listed courses that have different departments and catalog numbers.
In a merged course, students will see the name of the original course and the content from the parent course. The Course Merge Tool does not copy any content from the child courses to the parent course. If you want to copy content from any of the child courses to the parent course you should do this prior to using the Course Merge Tool. After merging, the child course(s) will be unavailable and new content can be added to the parent course only.
- You must be enrolled as the instructor in both the child and parent Blackboard courses to merge courses.
- The child and parent Blackboard courses must be listed in the same semester in the Schedule of Classes.
- After merging, the child courses will be made unavailable. Instructors should not make the child courses available in the future.
Reasons Not to Merge Blackboard Courses:
- Course Merge will combine the Grade Center listing for all the students. If you require separate Grade Centers do not use Course Merge. This may apply if you teach both undergraduate and graduate sections of a course and they are graded differently.
- If you have entered grades or collected student work in a Blackboard course, you will not be able to access the grades or submitted work after merging as a child course. We recommend merging Blackboard courses before any grades are recorded.
For more information about Course Merge, select from the following:
Video: Blackboard Course Merge Tool
Merge Blackboard Courses
To merge two or more Blackboard courses follow these steps:
- Determine the Parent Course. This is the course where all your content must currently reside.
- Open the Parent Course in Blackboard.
- In the Control Panel (lower left), click on Course Tools and then Course Merge. [View screenshot]
- The first Course Merge screen will show you the Parent Course (the course you are currently logged into). Click Select Child Courses to select the course(s) that you want to merge into the parent course. [View screenshot]
- On the Select Child Courses page you will see all current semester courses that you are an instructor in. Select the checkbox next to the course, or courses, that will become the Child Courses. [View screenshot]
- Click on the Confirm Merge Choices button. [View screenshot]
- On the confirmation page, when ready, click the Perform Merge. Your courses will be merged immediately. [View screenshot]
You should now see the Course Merge success page.
If you need to unmerge your Blackboard courses please contact the KU IT Educational Technologists at 785-864-2600 or email@example.com. An Educational Technologist will respond to coordinate unmerging your Blackboard courses.
Source: Blackboard Help »