Course shells are automatically created in Blackboard for every section of every course that exists within Enroll & Pay. Student enrollments, instructor assignments, teaching assistant assignments, added and dropped sections will be automatically updated in Blackboard based on information from Enroll & Pay within 24 hours of a change.
Practice Course Requests:
Faculty and staff can request practice course shells to try out tools and features by completing the Blackboard Course Creation Request Form.
Resources to Get Started
Basic Elements for Organizing & Designing Your Course
- Content Areas – Add your syllabus, course documents such as handouts, links to related websites, assignments, and other materials.
- Course Tools – Tools include announcements, discussion boards, collaboration sessions, and email to communicate with your students. You can create online tests and surveys to monitor student learning.
- Evaluation – View course statistics from tracking reports.
- Grade Center – Manage student grades.
- Users and Groups – Add students and TAs to your site, remove manually added users. Create and manage student groups.
- Customization – Customize your Blackboard course to fit your instructional needs. You can customize course navigation buttons by changing their shape, color, and label. You can also remove student access to selected tools.
Access Your Course
- Go to courseware.ku.edu
- Click on the login button to log in with your KU Online ID.
- Enter your KU Online ID and password.
- Click on the course name under My Courses to go to your course’s home page.
- Go to a content area (e.g. Course Documents, Assignments) or navigate to the Control Panel to access Course Tools.
- To log out, click the logout icon to the right of your name in the top, right corner or close down your browser completely.
Video - How to Access Your Blackboard Courses:
Understanding Instructor Role vs. Teaching Assistant Role in Blackboard
There are two differences between the roles:
- The Instructor role allows the user to perform a Course Merge. The Instructor must be enrolled in all courses that will be merged. Course merge allows an Instructor to upload the course material only once but allow students in multiple sections to see that material.
- Instructors are the only users who can change a user's role within the course.
Who should have which role?
The Instructor role is automatically assigned to any person listed as the Instructor of Record in Enroll & Pay. However, it is common for an Instructor to have a GTA who they would like to have this access. To give a GTA access, the Instructor has the ability to change their role to “Instructor.” Changing the role in Blackboard does not impact how the GTA is listed in Enroll & Pay.
Source: Blackboard Help »