Blackboard Collaborate will be retired May 23rd.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra will be retired at KU and will no longer be available after the end of the Spring 2018 semester. Zoom is now available for instructors to use for online meetings and synchronous class sessions. Learn more about using Zoom here: Zoom Video Conferencing >>.
Download any Collaborate recordings that you want to keep before the end of Spring 2018. Use the steps below to download these files to your computer.
Download Collaborate Ultra recordings
- Access Blackboard Collaborate within your course.
- Open the menu in the upper left-hand corner, and select "Recordings".
- If you don’t see the recording you want, click ‘Recent Recordings’ and select ‘Recordings In A Range’. Enter a date range.
- To the right of the recording you want, click the three dots in a circle icon, select Download.
- Save the recording to a location on your computer.
Use the above steps to download and save Collaborate recording files. If you have a lot of files or would like help with this process please contact the Educational Technologists at 785-864-2600 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to post any of your downloaded recordings in a Blackboard course, please see instructions for posting videos at Add Media.
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a web-conferencing platform which instructors can use to schedule synchronous class sessions. Real-time remote sessions allow faculty and students to replicate many elements of face-to-face instruction while online. Sessions can also be used for office hours and student consultations.
Your students will be able to join Collaborate from the familiar Blackboard interface. Each session also has a Guest URL which you can use to invite participants not in your course, allowing you to bring in a guest speaker to speak to your students from anywhere in the world, for instance. Instructors can also create multiple Collaborate meeting rooms to serve as virtual meetings spaces for group work and have the ability to facilitate small group interaction during a virtual session via Breakout Groups.
To learn more about Collaborate Ultra, select from the following:
Add a Collaborate Tool link to the Course Menu
We recommend adding a link to the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Tool in your course menu to facilitate access for students and instructors.
- Click the plus sign (+ button) at the top left area of the course menu.
- Choose Tool Link to add a course menu button.
- Type in a Name (required) for the tool link. This is the name that will appear on the button.
- Select the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Tool from the drop down list.
- Check the Available to Users box.
- Click Submit.
Note: Your new Collaborate tool link will appear at the bottom of your course menu. Feel free to reposition the tool link in a more appropriate location in your course menu.
Using Blackboard Collaborate as a Moderator (Instructor)
Using Blackboard Collaborate as a Participant (Student)
Minimum Technical Requirements for Blackboard Collaborate
NOTE: Blackboard recommends that you use a headset (or headphones with an echo canceling microphone) rather than speakers when allowing simultaneous talkers. This will eliminate potential echoing and feedback and improve your audio experience.
Browser Support & System Requirements:
- Browser Support for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra »
- System Requirements for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra »
Collaborate with the Ultra experience supports Windows and Mac PCs, Google Chromebook and Microsoft Surface Pro devices provided one of the supported browsers (listed in link above) are being used and audio/camera devices work with those browsers. (Microsoft Surface devices running Windows RT are not supported.)
Students can access Collaborate Ultra on a mobile device using the Blackboard app. Please see Collaborate in the Blackboard App » for more information. Students can download the Blackboard app via the KU Mobile Plaza ».
Instructors can now access Collaborate Ultra on a mobile device using the Blackboard Instructor app. Please see Collaborate in Blackboard Instructor » for more information. Instructors can download the Blackboard Instructor app via the KU Mobile Plaza ».
Supported File & Image Types For Upload:
- File Types Supported For Upload: .ppt, .pptx, .pdf can be converted
- Image Files Types Supported for Upload: .gif, .jpeg, .png
Support File Types For Profile Picture:
- Supported image types for profile picture: .png, .jpeg, .jpg
Source: Blackboard Help »