Announcements can be used to post timely information critical to course success such as assignment due dates, exam schedules, changes to the syllabus or other corrections or clarifications of materials.
You can add, edit and delete announcements from the announcements page. When adding an announcement, you can also choose to send the announcement as an email to your students in the course. This ensures that your students receive the announcement even if they do not log in to the course.
You can also use announcements to establish more of a presence in a hybrid or online course. Announcements can act as a sort of “stream of consciousness” or as a means for distributing supplementary materials on the fly, such as links to breaking news stories or interesting videos. Students may benefit by feeling more connected to you, the course, and by having the most up-to-date information.
For more information about Announcements, select from the following:
Create an Announcement
Announcements appear in the order posted, with the most recent announcements appearing first.
- In the Course Tools area of the Control Panel, click Announcements.
- From the action bar, select Create Announcement. [View screenshot]
- Provide a subject and message.
- Set the Duration.
- To keep the announcement visible until it is manually removed, select Not Date Restricted. [View screenshot]
- Or, select Date Restricted to limit the announcement's visibility by date and time. Then, select the Display After and/or Display Until check boxes and type the dates and times or select the dates and times by using the pop-up date selection and time selection calendars. [View screenshot]
- To send students an email containing the announcement, check the Send a copy of this announcement immediately checkbox. The email will be sent to all students — even those who choose not to receive announcement notifications through email. Note: the email will be sent as soon as you click Submit, it will not be sent on the date and time selected for Display After. [View screenshot]
- If you desire to link to a course area, tool or item, use the Browse button to select the area, tool or item. [View screenshot]
- Click Submit.
Instructors can also create Announcements from the MyBlackboard page using the Blackboard tool, Qwickly. To learn more, please visit Qwickly.
Announcements appear in the order posted, with the most recent announcement appearing first. However, it is possible to pin an announcement to the top of the list.
- Drag the announcement above the movable New announcements appear below this line bar. This will keep the announcement at the top of the list and prevent new announcements from superseding it. [View screenshot]
- Click Edit from the contextual menu of the announcement you want to edit. [View screenshot]
- Make your changes.
- Click Submit.
NOTE: This action is final and cannot be undone.
- Click Delete from the contextual menu of the announcement you want to delete. [View screenshot]
- Confirm the deletion.
Source: Blackboard Help »