Instructors can use the Blackboard course calendar to communicate important course-related events to students. All users in the course can view the dates and events that appear on the calendar. Common entries include assignment due dates, exam dates, special lectures, guest speakers, and section meetings.
If a student accesses the calendar while in your course, he or she will only see the entries you have added. If the student views the calendar from their My KU tab, the following will be visible:
- The student’s personal entries
- Entries for all courses in which the student is enrolled
- Entries for any organizations in which the student is enrolled
- Institution-wide events
For more information about Calendar Scheduling, select from the following:
By default, courses will not have a link to the calendar. You can make the calendar more accessible to your students by adding a link to the calendar tool in the course navigation area.
- Along the left, above your course name, mouse over the Plus Sign (+ button) and a new dialog box will appear,
- Click Tool Link.
- Provide the name for the tool, such as “Course Calendar.”
- Under Type, choose Calendar.
- If you want to make it immediately available to students, check the Available to Users box.
- Click Submit.
Course calendar events appear to all members of the course. Common entries for the calendar include upcoming tests, due dates for assignments or special lectures. NOTE: Reoccurring calendar events are not supported in Blackboard Learn at this time.
- Enter an Event Name. This is a required field. The event name and the event time in hours appear in the calendar as a link to the event description.
- Enter an Event Description. This can include formatted text, links and images. There is a 4,000-character limit to event descriptions.
- Next, you must select an Event Date. The event date can be entered manually or by using the Date Selection Calendar.
- Enter an Event Time. The event start time cannot be the same as the event end time. Events can be scheduled in the past.
- Click Submit.
Course calendar events appear to all members of the course. Common entries for the calendar include upcoming tests, due dates for assignments or special lectures. NOTE: Deleting an event is irreversible.
- Within your course, navigate to your course calendar.
- Locate the event you would like to delete or edit on your calendar.
- Ensure the Edit Mode is On, found at the top-right of your course window.
- Select Edit or Delete from the contextual menu found immediately to the right of the event’s title.
- If editing, select Edit and follow steps 1-5 in the Create a Course Event directions found above.
- If deleting, select Delete and select OK from the window that follows. NOTE: Deleting an event is irreversible.
- Within the course calendar your default view is set to View by Day. Toward the top right of this window, you have the option to change the calendar view to View by Day, View by Week, View by Month or View by Year.
- Below the Calendar View panel you will find a Jump To button. This allows you to move directly to desired date and view the corresponding month, week or day.
Source: Blackboard Help »