Blackboard at the University of Kansas
Canvas is Now KU's Learning Management System
- Canvas has replaced Blackboard as KU's learning management system.
- Access Canvas and related resources at KU Canvas Help
Blackboard Content in 2024 and Beyond
- After September 29, 2023, KU Information Technology will retain Blackboard course archive files for five years of academic semesters, consistent with KU's LMS Policy.
- In Spring 2024, these past semesters will include Summer 2018 through Fall 2022.
- These archive files can be imported into Canvas for instructors by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Content Not Imported to Canvas
- While it depends on the on the activities used in the course, not all Blackboard content will import into Canvas.
- Activities such as blogs, journals, wikis and external tools will not be imported.
- Student work and grades will not be imported.
- Learn more in the Moving from Blackboard to Canvas Guide.
Course Items Automatically Backed Up
For Blackboard courses that contain content and assignment submissions during these semesters, KU IT will backup specific items from the courses including:
- Grade Center
- Assignment Submissions and Feedback
Blackboard Course Archive Files and Access to Retained Items
To have a Blackboard course archive file restored into Canvas or to access any additional retained items from a Blackboard course, contact KU IT Educational Technology at email@example.com.
Please note, restoration of past course content is intended for instructors. Students wanting access to past course content should contact their instructors to request this. The Educational Technology team can restore files submitted for Blackboard assignments for students if provided details about the specific course and assignment/s.